Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Boy Crazy Chronicles: Grade Nine

   Even though I was just here two weeks ago with my family, this huge building feels brand new and completely different. It is, partially. Just in the knick of time, construction was finished a week ago for the brand new building. My class is the first Freshman class to enjoy the complete remodel on the age-old high school. Well, the high school isn't the only thing new and improved. That's right. Old caterpillar me has finally broken out of the cocoon and ninth grade Blair Thompson is ready for her life to begin. The summer after eighth grade was seriously so good to me. I finally discovered the Health and Beauty Aids aisles and online videos explaining how to use all that stuff. No longer do I clothe myself with men's t-shirts and sweatshirts just for comfort and gone are the days where I'm mistaken for a tom boy (or any other personality differentiations...) all because aesthetics is a lesson not yet learned. Yep, let me tell you, when I walked in for orientation in the beginning of the month, people noticed me, really noticed me. I didn't blend in with the crowd and move to the back of people's minds. I'm ready to start this new year with a splash. Things are finally going to be different for me!
    
   With the help of the new maps sitting in a table in the main lobby, I finally find my homeroom just as the first bell rings. Each desktop contains a packet of papers with our names on the very top. As I find my name, I glance around at some of the other names in my homeroom. For the most part, the local newspaper printed the class roster halfway through the summer. Everyone knows, however, there are last minute additions and subtractions for whatever reason. Besides, new year, new school, new building, new me - wouldn't a new student/new best friend be an excellent cherry on top? Someone who has no idea what I used to look like would be a great breath of fresh air right now. Don't get me wrong, my friends are great, and have been great since elementary school. It's just... it's time to find new ones. I'm changing and they're staying the same. I'm outgrowing them and it's time I find a new circle with the same interests as me.